Monday 1 April 2013

(Library) Review: HOW TO BE A WOMAN by Caitlin Moran

I feel guilty giving this book a Rave Review. Not in the least because it doesn't deserve it but because every single person I have spoken to about it does. Perhaps instead I should shout the praises of books that haven't made the headlines. Perhaps 'Get Well Soon!' by Kristy Chambers or 'Why We Broke Up' by Daniel Handler. But nope, they'll have to wait as I loved 'How To Be a Woman' and have to exercise my Womanish Roaring and let everybody know.
Originally I was unenthusiastic about reading this book, it's about feminism and I find feminism icky. Luckily a highly intoxicated friend did some convincing debating of her own and made me pinky promise to try it. (Don't you dare not call me a party animal, after a few Moscatos I am ready to discuss BOOKS!). A few pages in and I was completely won over. Caitlin Moran is like able, hilariously self-deprecating and she doesn't hate men. She does hate high heels but we can't expect to agree on everything. She covers almost everything. Puberty, Boys, Work, Brazilians, Fashion, Germaine Greer, Sexism and Katie Price. Her insights are very original with the ability to make me rethink my very stubborn opinions.
Read this book. Your eyes will be opened and you won't even have to lick any menstrual blood.
4 and a half bum gropes out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment